Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay

Biography of Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay

Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay served with the 1st Battalion Scots Guards. He was the eldest son of University of Glasgow patron, Lord Maclay. Maclay Hall and the Memorial Chapel organ were donated by the Maclay family in memory of Ebenezer and his brother, William, who both died in the First World War.

Ebenezer Maclay was educated at Glasgow Academy and received a BA from Cambridge. On service since the outbreak of the war, Lieutenant Maclay fought in and survived the Gallipoli campaign, but was later killed by a German sniper near Arras on 11 April 1918 at the age of 27. Ebenezer Maclay is buried at Doullens Communal Cemetery Extension Number 1.

Ebenezer's younger brother, 2nd Lieutenant William Maclay of the 8th Battalion Cameronians (Scots Rifles), was also educated at Glasgow Academy and Lews School, Cambridge, where he was a prominent member of the football team. He saw service in the Dardanelles, where he died at the age of 19 from wounds received at Gallipoli on 28 June 1915.

Joseph Paton Maclay (1857-1951), 1st Baron Maclay, was Chairman of the shipping company Maclay & Macintyre and a generous benefactor to the University. In 1921, Lord and Lady Maclay donated their home at 17 Park Terrace to the University in memory of their two sons. Maclay Hall opened as a student residence at the beginning of the 1922–1923 session and closed in December 2014. It was the first hall of residence provided by the University of Glasgow for students. The Maclays also gifted the Memorial Chapel's original organ. It was designed by the University’s organist, A. M. Henderson and built by Henry Willis & Sons, one of Britain’s most distinguished organ builders, in 1928. Despite undergoing major renovation and rebuilding in 1977, the case, console and much of the pipe work is original.

Summary

Lieutenant Ebenezer Maclay
Rank: Lieutenant
Regiment: Scots Guards
Degree: N/A
Awards: N/A
Comments: Killed near Arras 11 April 1918. Son of University patron, Lord Maclay. Maclay Hall and the organ in the University Memorial Chapel were donated in his honour.
Note/Press Clipping: N/A
Photo ID: Image reproduced with kind permission of McLean Museum

There are no comments available.