Queen Margaret College

Description

The Glasgow Association for the Higher Education of Women was founded in 1877 and in 1883 it was incorporated under the Companies Act as Queen Margaret College, for the education exclusively of women. The new college was accommodated in North Park House, a mansion off Queen Margaret Drive that was gifted by Mrs Isabella Elder. It was named for Margaret, wife of Malcolm III King of Scots.

The first students were admitted to the College in 1884. A medical school was opened there in 1890, housed in an extension built to the designs of the architect John Keppie and his assistant Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Female students were admitted to the University from 1892 and the Queen Margaret College building, grounds and endowments were transferred to the University on the stipulation that they should be devoted solely to the education of women. By 1935, however, the demand for separate teaching of women had ended and the Queen Margaret College building was sold to the BBC. It's name lives on in the Queen Margaret Union, originally founded solely for women students.

Associated buildings