Melville Room


The Melville Room (formerly known as the Senate Room) is located in the Gilbert Scott Building and is named for the theologian Andrew Melville (1545-1622), who was Principal of the University from 1574 until 1580.

The Melville Room is located to the west of the Turnbull Room. It was fitted up by John Thompson in 1872 and incorporates elements from the Old College. The room was fitted up with wainscot lining made from the oak of the Old College Forehall. The fireplace and overmantle were probably those carved by James Adams in 1745.


Melville Room
Record last updated: 21st May 2015

University Connections

Associated people