Roll of Honour
Archibald Donald Mackinnon
Archibald Donald Mackinnon was born on the 25th December 1889, and was the son of Donald and Margaret Mackinnon. The family lived on the Isle of Tiree, where Archibald's father was a teacher.
In 1910, Archibald enrolled in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Glasgow. In his first year he took classes in Latin and Mathematics, followed in his second with classes in English and Education. Archibald was among the first students to study Celtic at the University, taking classes in the relatively new subject in his final year, along with English. He graduated with an MA on the 20th June 1913.
Archibald then enrolled at the Glasgow Provincial Training College, forerunner of Jordanhill College of Education, now the University of Strathclyde, for a one-year postgraduate teacher training course. He initially lived at what had been his University address of 3 Albany Street, Glasgow, but by the end of his training he had moved to 437 Paisley Road West. Despite gaining unsatisfactory grades for Phonetics and Voice Production (Speaking and Reading), Archibald achieved the Teacherâ€™s General Certificate, which entitled him to teach in primary schools. The assessors recommended, however, that he â€˜Should give further attention to phonetics.â€™ He was recognised as a Certificated Teacher from the 1st August 1914 and appointed to a post at Elder Park Public School in Govan from the 16th September 1914.
Archibald's civilian life was interrupted by the outbreak of war in 1914. Little is known about his military service, but by 1918 he was serving with the newly formed 51st Battalion of the Machine Gun Corps. This battalion took part in a number of battles towards the end of the war, including the Battles of Lys, Tardenois, and the Scarpe. Archibald died on the 13th October 1918, and is buried at Avesnes-le-Sec Cemetery in France. He is remembered on the University of Glasgow Roll of Honour, on the Roll of Honour of the Glasgow Provincial Committee for the Training of Teachers, and on the Glasgow Provincial Training College War Memorial, located in the David Stow Building on the former Jordanhill Campus.
Comments and Citations
University of Glasgow Registry Records: R4/1/7
With thanks to Anne Cameron for providing additional details from the University of Strathclyde Records.