Roll of Honour
Hugh was born in Partick on the 8th August 1897, to James Alexander Sutherland and his wife Jane. At that time his father was a Medical student, though later he moved to England and worked as a chemist and drug representative with the pharmaceutical company Burroughs Welcome Ltd. He died in 1912.
Hugh went to school in England, to Upton Preparatory School in the early years and from there on a scholarship to Giggleswick School in Yorkshire. He was seventeen in 1914 when he began his studies in the Medical Faculty at Glasgow. War had just broken out, but Hugh was too young to enlist in the services, and instead joined the O.T.C. and applied himself to his studies. In his first year he took classes in Chemistry and Zoology, earning a merit in the latter. He returned in second year and enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology. His widowed mother had moved to Ayr and Hugh found accommodation during these years in rooms at Jedburgh Gardens and then Bank Street. His medical career had got off to a strong start, but once Hugh turned 18, the ongoing war was to become his priority.
Hugh volunteered in September 1916. Sadly he was one of a student generation who did not return to Gilmorehill. Gazetted Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Air Service in 1917, he rose to the rank of Captain. On 4th November, 1918, just a week before the Armistice, Hugh was in the air above Cranwell on a training flight when his plane was involved in a mid-air collision in which he and the pilot of the other plane, Lieutenant Henry de Bathe, were killed and a flight cadet injured. The Royal Naval Air Service in which he served suffered high casualties during the war, many of them in such training accidents.
Captain Hugh Sutherland was buried in Cranwell Churchyard (St. Andrew), Lincolnshire. His name is engraved and honoured in the Memorials of the Chapels at Giggleswick School and the University of Glasgow.
Comments and Citations
University of Glasgow Registry
University of Glasgow ROH Ch 4//4/2/3/866,899, 1228
CWGC Debt of Honour
London Gazette 21 December 1917 p.13387