Roll of Honour
William Colston Craig
William (known as Willie) Colston Craig was born on the 27th June 1894, at 13 Avon Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, third son of William Colston Craig (1863-1924), a Maritime Superintendent, and Jane Craig (nee Bisset)(1855-1942), who had married on the 27th February 1889, Largs, Ayrshire. He enrolled at the University to study English and French in 1913 at the age of 19. Williamâ€™s matriculation record tells us that whist studying at the University he resided locally, at 48 Balshagray Avenue in Partick. His matriculation slip also records his fatherâ€™s profession as a Stevedore although his father is also known for his contributions to Rangers Football Club where he served on the board from 1903 and became Director of the Club in 1923.
William Colston Craig did not continue beyond his first year as, like many other students, the outbreak of the First World War meant that William postponed his studies. William enlisted with the South Lancashire Regiment and served with the 10th Battalion, attached to the 6th Battalion.
During the war the 6th Bn. South Lancashire Regiment served in Gallipoli, Macedonia and Egypt. In 1916 those who survived these earlier campaigns moved into Mesopotamia where they were involved in fierce fighting. It was here that 2nd Lieutenant William Colston Craig is reported to have died, from wounds inflicted, on the 20th January 1917.
2nd Lieutenant William Colston Craig is commemorated and buried at the Amara War Cemetery in Iraq on the banks of the Tigris, in grave number XXVI. H.3, alongside 4,621 others who lost their lives in the region during the First World War. He is further commemorated at the â€˜Rangers Triangleâ€™ of graves at Cathcart Cemetery in Glasgow alongside his father who died in 1923, as well as the Prestwick War Memorial, and war memorials in both the Prestwick St Cuthbert and Prestwick St Nicholas golf clubs.
Comments and Citations
University of Glasgow Faculty and Registry records