Roll of Honour
Alexander Hamilton Aiton
Alexander Hamilton Aiton was born in Pollockshields on the 13th of April 1890. He was the third son of Alexander and Jane Aiton, and the family lived at Prospect Hill, Cambuslang. Alexander attended the High School of Glasgow, and was 18 when he left in Sixth Form to study Law at the University of Glasgow.
Alexander matriculated in 1908, taking classes in the College of Arts. In his first year he took classes in Latin and English Literature, followed in his second with classes in Logic and Civil Law. This studies in Civil Law may have influenced his choice to change his degree to Law - or he may have been influenced by his father, who was already a lawyer. In order to graduate with a Law degree, Alexander took classes in Civil Law, Law of Scotland, Conveyancing, and International Private Law. He was a successful student, and graduated with a BL on the 22nd of April 1912. During his time at University, Alexander has joined the University's OTC, and served with them for five years, until he gained the rank of Sergeant.
While at University, Alexander had served an apprenticeship with Messrs. Maclay, Murray and Spens. As a result, after receiving his degree, he quickly qualified as a law agent.
When War broke out, Alexander volunteered for active service, and was commissioned to the Highland Light Infantry in October 1914. He was quickly promoted to Captain, and lead and trained his men in both home stations and in Ireland. During this time he was also married, to Ella Aiton of 5 Dean Avenue, Wallasey, Cheshire.
Captain Aiton was transferred to the King's Own Scottish Borderers in April 1918, where he lead the company in a number of difficult campaigns, for which he was Mentioned in Despatches. On the 28th of September 1918, Captain Aiton was killed near Ypres. He is buried at Ypres Reservoir Ceremony, and remembered on the University of Glasgow Memorial Tablets, and the High School of Glasgow Roll of Honour.
Comments and Citations
Glasgow High School Book of Remembrance
University of Glasgow Registry Records: R4/2/3