Roll of Honour

2nd Lieutenant

Harry Asher Hayworth


Harry Asher Hayworth was a student in Classics at the University of Glasgow in 1914 and brother of fellow student Frederick Hayworth. He served with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in the First World War and was killed in the Battle of Arras which took place April 9th – May 16th 1917.

Image of Harry Asher Hayworth

Harry was born on the 5th December 1895 in Dunfermline, Fife, the fourth son of William Hayworth, Bank Accountant, and Jane Hayworth (nee Asher). In 1908, aged 12, he moved to Lennoxtown when his father was appointed Agent for the Royal Bank of Scotland in the Campsie area. There he attended Lenzie Academy and was the school’s Junior Dux in 1911; and Senior Dux in 1913. He also played cricket for the Lennox Castle Club, taught at the local Sunday School and acted as Deputy Organist at the Campsie United Free Church of Scotland.

In 1914, Harry won the Forfar Classics Bursary and came first in the University of Glasgow Bursary Competition and The United Free Church of Scotland Undergraduate Bursary Competition. Later that year, aged 18, he took classes in Latin (Ordinary) and Greek (Ordinary) at the University of Glasgow. He was joined at the University by his elder Brother Frederick, who enrolled in a class for Scots Law. During their studies the two brothers shared a flat at 99 Grant Street, near St. George’s Cross. Harry excelled in his study of Ancient Greek, winning The Jeffrey Gold Medal, awarded to the top student in Greek, and coming second in prizes for Greek prose and Greek translation.

However, in January 1915, his brother Frederick dropped out to enlist in the Glasgow Highlanders. Harry himself enlisted in the same regiment in April 1915, but took advantage of an offer by the University to take his final exams early. Although he failed his first attempt in May, he finally passed his exams in June and was able to proceed with his training in the summer of that year. Harry applied for officer training and, along with his brother, was commissioned in the 7th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in December 1915. Almost a year later, in October 1916, Harry was finally separated from his brother when the two were posted to different units on the Western Front.

For a period of six months between October 1916 and April 1917, Harry took command of a platoon of ‘B’ Company of the 10th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. His first experience of trench warfare was in the area of High Wood, near Bazentin-le-Grand on the Somme. In April 1917 he led his platoon into the Battle of Arras, participating in the Capture of Athies (April 9th) and the fighting around the Rouex Chemical Works (April 12th-15th). His eventual fate was recorded in 1931 by his commanding officer, Colonel H. G. Sotheby in the Battalion History:

"On the 15th [of April] the whole Division came out of line being relieved by the 51st. The relief was satisfactorily completed, until as one platoon of 'B' Company was entering Athies it came under heavy 5.9 shell-fire, when Lieut. H. Hayworth, a most gallant young officer, and 6 men were killed and 6 wounded."

Frederick was at home on leave when Harry was killed and he was present when the news reached the family. Despite this he returned to his unit and on May 12th, less than a month after Harry’s death, Frederick was killed on the very same battlefield that claimed his brother’s life.

Today, the two brothers are commemorated within yards of each other in Fauborg d'Amiens Cemetery, Arras and they appear side by side on the memorial tablets in the University of Glasgow’s Memorial Chapel. Harry’s name also appears on the memorial at Lenzie Academy where his story features in the teaching of the First World War and his grave in France in visited annually by school trips.

Comments and Citations


Records of the University of Glasgow Chapel and Registry.

Biography: With thanks to the family and Euan Loarridge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Museum who sent further information. Thanks also to Lynne Fordyce