Roll of Honour
John C T Teggart
Mentioned in Despatches
John and Francis Teggart were twin brothers, born on 14th June 1890 to Mr and Mrs Hamilton Teggart, of Hillhead Glasgow. The boys attended Glasgow High School, where John apparently lacked his brother’s literary talent but made up for it in charm. He went up to Glasgow University in 1907 by which time the family lived in Baliscate, Tobermory and he shared accommodation in Glasgow with his brother at 49 Arlington Street, Woodlands. He graduated MB ChB in 1912. The newly graduated Dr Teggart worked as a house surgeon in the Western Infirmary and at the Sick Children’s Hospital in Glasgow. It was while he was a resident surgeon in the Johannesburg Hospital that he joined the RAMC.
John served on the western front with a field ambulance of the Northumberland Fusiliers and with the famous 51st Division. He took an active part in the principal battles on the front for three years. On Sunday, 21st July 1918, however, attached to the artillery brigade in the Bois de Crouton, Rheims, he was doing his duty among the injured gunners when he was killed instantaneously.
His brother Francis had also fallen, on 26th October 1917. Their younger brother, Hamilton George Bryce Teggart, followed in their footsteps to the University of Glasgow to study Chemistry and Zoology, and was mercifully spared the fate of the twins in war. Dr John Teggart is buried at Terlincthun Cemetery, Wimille, near Boulogne. The cemetery was begun in June 1918 in an area which housed numerous hospitals and medical establishments. Designed by Sir Herbert Bates, it suffered from shelling and damage during the German occupation in the Second World War.
Comments and Citations
Obituary: The High School of Glasgow; The Book of Service and Remembrance (Glasgow: Maclehose, Jackson, 1921)
University of Glasgow Archives, Faculty and Registry Records