Engineering (Rankine Chair)

Description

The Rankine Chair of Engineering (Mechanics and Mechanism) was formally created in 1957, named for William John Macquorn Rankine (1820-1872), the Professor of Civil Engineering and Mechanics from 1855 to 1873, and has the University Court as its patron.

Following the retirement of Professor John Hancock, the Chair was vacant for a number of years. In this period, the University restructured and the School of Engineering was formed in 2010. As a result, the School of Engineering has identified Energy Engineering as a strategic research area and the proposed name change to Rankine Chair of Energy Engineering reflects the desire of the School to retain the prestigious title of the Rankine Chair, while allowing the flexibility to appoint a chairholder in this emerging area of research.

Summary

Engineering (Rankine Chair)
Award Type: Professorships
Year Founded: 1957
Record last updated: 2nd Apr 2019

University Connections

Associated people

Post Holder:
Memorialised:

There are no comments available.