University Gardens, 5

Description

5 University Gardens currently houses Student and Staff support for the School of Critical Studies as well as English Literature, the latter being housed in 4-5 University Gardens.

No. 5 was one of four houses built by John James Burnet from 1882 to 1884 which were located on the north terrace of the then Saughfield Crescent. The crescent was sited on the former gardens of Saughfield House. The A listed building is designed in a restrained but eclectic Glasgow free style, fusing neo-Baroque with Arts & Crafts detailing.

The house's first occupant was Robert Berry. He was Professor of Law from 1867 to 1887, Dean of Faculties from 1888 to 1896, and Sheriff Principal of Lanarkshire from 1886 until his death in 1903. No. 5 was then occupied by his son, Arthur John Berry, a Chemistry student at the University.

Summary

University Gardens, 5
5 University Gardens
Glasgow
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus