Bower Building

Description

The Bower Building, the first of the new laboratory buildings at Gilmorehill, was named for Frederick Orpen Bower, Professor of Botany at the University from 1885 to 1925.

Between 1870 and 1901, Botany lectures were given in a tower in the east quadrangle of the Gilbert Scott Building. In 1900 work began on a new building on the south side of University Avenue, designed by the architect Sir John James Burnet from sketches by John Oldrid Scott in 1897. This dual authorship is perhaps reflected in the stylistic mix of classical Renaissance design with 'Scotticised' Baronial details such as the crowstepped gables, hood-moulds over the windows and the signature pepperpot turrets, derived from the Main Building design. The walls of the building were made of Bishopbriggs sandstone and the slates were Lancashire blue.

The building costs of £19,000 were met by a grant of £6,000 from Bellahouston Trustees, and a £10,725 bequest from the estate of Charles Randolph. The fittings in oak were to be supplied from a grant of £2,401 from the Robert Paterson Fund. It was opened on 13 June 1901 by Sir Joseph Hooker as part of the University's ninth jubilee celebrations.

The building had two large teaching laboratories, an herbarium on two floors with a small library, a museum occupying three floors, a 300-seat lecture room, staff offices and a workshop. The Stevenson Laboratory extension to the east was built in 1937 by T. Harold Hughes and David Stark Reid Waugh. The building was seriously damaged by fire in 2001, but the interiors were reconstructed by BMJ Architects and the exterior restored, with the building finally being reopened in November 2005.

Summary

Bower Building
University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 14th May 2015