Officer Training Corps

Description

The Officer Training Corps building is made up of several parts. The eastern part was the University Gymnasium (some of this building is now part of Estates & Buildings). The building was designed according to plans drawn up by famous teacher and author of physical education books Archibald McLaren. These plans were approved by George Gilbert Scott and the construction was supervised by John Burnet Sr from 1871-1872. The building was extended in May 1896 with the addition of a fives court (this was probably carried out by John Burnet & Son) and again in 1908-1909 when a new locker room was added. The building was used until 1946 when the fives court was demolished. The building now belongs to the Glasgow and Strathclyde University Officer Training Corps (GSUOTC).

The University of Glasgow Officers' Training Corps (OTC) was formed in 1910 as a result of the Haldane reforms of the Army. The convenor of the military committee of the OTC, Dudley Medley ('Deadly Muddly'), Professor of Modern History, submitted a request to the University Court in January 1911 asking for permanent accommodation for the OTC. He was allocated a site on the recreation ground beside the five courts that extended westwards from the Gymnasium.

The Drill Hall, likely designed by David Barclay of H. & D. Barclay in 1911, has a mildly defensive frontage of corbelled parapets and turrets facing University Place. The building was extended westwards in 1912-1913 by the successor to the practice, Colin Sinclair. In addition to the Drill Hall, the building contained a miniature shooting range along the eastern side, an armoury, engineers' and infantry stores, orderly rooms, a cadets' dressing room, a lecture room, an officers' mess, and a library.

In 1986 the main Drill Hall behind the University Place frontage was replaced with a larger building by Monro & Partners.

Summary

Officer Training Corps
GSUOTC
95 University Place
GLASGOW
G12 8SU
Record last updated: 2nd Aug 2018