Isabella Elder Building


The Isabella Elder Building, formerly known as Estates & Buildings, is named in honour of Isabella Elder, a benefactor of the University who took a particular interest in promoting opportunities for women in higher education. The building is made up of several parts. The Isabella Elder Building occupies the eastern part which was built in 1871-1872 as the University's Gymnasium (the Gymnasium was built on the site of the old Gilmorehill House stables). The other part of the building is currently occupied by the Officer Training Corps.

Archibald MacLaren's designs for the Gilmorehill Gymnasium were revised by George Gilbert Scott, but it was John Burnet Sr who supervised construction in 1871-72 with the local firm Hunter & Marshall providing the joinery.

The building was extended in May 1896 with the addition of five courts (this was probably carried out by John Burnet & Son). In 1908-1909 a new locker room was added. The building was used until 1946 when the five courts were demolished and the Gymnasium was converted to house the University workshops which were later altered and used to form the administrative offices of Estates & Buildings.

The east-west range of the Isabella Elder Building, situated to the south, was erected between the 1930s and 1951. The original range was extended north into an L-plan in 1967, almost doubling the building size, connecting to the building housing the Officer Training Corps.

The building was renamed in honour of Isabella Elder in 2015.


Isabella Elder Building
Isabella Elder Building
Botany Gate
University Avenue
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 13th Nov 2015