Boyd Orr Building

Description

The Boyd Orr Building is named for the Nobel laureate Lord Boyd Orr of Brechin (1880-1971), Rector of the University from 1945 to 1947, and Chancellor of the University from 1946 to 1971.

It was designed in 1964 by architects JL Gleave & Partners primarily as a general science building to act as an overflow for the overcrowded departmental buildings largely for first-year students given the projected 50% increase in students during the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Sir Eric Ashby, botanist and Master of Clare College, Cambridge, officially opened the £1.25m Boyd Orr building on 3 October 1972.

The interior has been largely refurbished. In 2009-2010, the two main lecture theatres were updated by crgp limited.

Summary

Boyd Orr Building
120 University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8QR
Record last updated: 19th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus