George Service House

Description

George Service House is the home of Information Studies., within the School of Humanities.

It is named for George Service (1864-1940), a Glasgow shipowner who was first chairman of the University's Student International Club. The club occupied the building from its creation in 1922. The Indian Students Union also met there.

Designed by John James Burnet, the house was completed in 1884. The top floor of the house is abundantly glazed, resembling the bridge of a ship, in keeping with its intended occupier.

The house later became the home of the industrial chemist George Thomas Beilby (1850-1926). Beilby's son-in-law Frederick Soddy (1887-1956), a lecturer in physical chemistry at the University from 1904 until 1914 and winner of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1921), first formed the concept of isotopes, after the term was suggested to him by Margaret Todd at a dinner party there in 1913.

The University purchased the building in 1956 for £1750 and spent £440 on furnishings. The costs were met by the University Grants Committee.

Standing next to Hetherington House, George Service House is one of the last two Victorian houses on the South side of University Gardens, the rest demolished for new buildings in the 1960s, which in turn have been replaced by the James McCune Smith Learning Hub.

Summary

George Service House
11 University Gardens
G12 8QH
Record last updated: 23rd Apr 2021