Hamilton Building

Description

The Hamilton Building at the Old College was named for Robert Hamilton (1754-1799), a merchant in Canton who left the reversion to a proportion of his estate to the University. The building was erected in 1813 in place of the eastern block of buildings on the east side of the Inner Quadrangle. It was named for Hamilton in anticiption of the funds from the bequest. The sum of £11,000 was finally received in 1823.

The Hamilton Building contained the Common Hall and classrooms for Humanities, Greek, Mathematics, Logic, Chemistry, Medicine and Anatomy. There was also a Dissecting Room.

Summary

Hamilton Building
High Street
Glasgow
Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus