Rowardennan Field Station

Description

By 1950 the success of the Rossdhu Field Station had made it apparent that a more permanent field study and research station was required. Dr Charles Maurice Yonge proposed a new station, constructed within the Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, a site made available by the Forestry Commission, with the help of a substantial loan from the Nuffield Foundation.

The new field station was near Rowardennan, and designed by the Glasgow architects Thomson, McCrae, and Sanders.

Built by the Weir Housing Corporation, it was officially opened on 22 April 1967 and consisted of three units: a main building containing laboratories on the ground floor with quarters above, a caretaker’s house, and a boathouse.

The Rowardennan Station, directed by Dr. Harry Slack, was used for teaching in several disciplines including zoology, botany and geography and could have classes of students as well as researchers. Initial water-life research focused on the distribution of animals using the deepwater zones of the loch and plankton populations while terrestrial ecology research studied the population dynamics of sycamore aphids and energy flow in woodland communities.

Both the Rossdhu and Rowardennan Field Stations played a part in the development of leading ecologists such as Peter S. Maitland, who became an expert in the field of freshwater biology, specialising in the ecology of Loch Lomond catchment.

The Rowardennan Field Station closed, and following a £7M regeneration project, a new facility was opened at Rowardennan in 2014. The facility was renamed the Scottish Centre for Ecology and the Natural Environment (SCENE).

Summary

Rowardennan Field Station
Record last updated: 23rd Oct 2020