Rossdhu Field Station

Description

The Rossdhu Field Station opened in 1946 in two former army huts in Rossdhu Park on the west shore of Loch Lomond near the village of Luss. Sir Iain Colquhoun, Baronet of Luss, provided the site, and Sir Harold Bowen, Baronet, made a generous donation to the University for entomological research.

The Rossdhu Field Station facilitated both valuable field teaching which helped students understand the types of and causes of animal distribution, and pioneering research such as the first major attempt to study biting midges in Scotland and the feasibility of controlling them.

The Rossdhu Field Station enjoyed great success and by 1950 it was clear that a larger and more permanent facility was required. The Rossdhu Field station was closed and replaced by the Rowardennan Field Station in 1967.

Summary

Rossdhu Field Station
Record last updated: 23rd Oct 2020