Cochno Farm and Research Centre

Description

The University of Glasgow purchased the Cochno Farm estate in 1954 when it consisted of 220 acres, including 42 acres of woodland.

Today Cochno Farm and Research Centre extends to approximately 344ha (850 acres) and this facility plays a key role in the delivery of core teaching and research activities of the School of Veterinary Medicine, and affiliated Research Institutes of the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences.

The land is predominately south facing aspects and rises from approximately 400ft at the West Lodge Gate to over 1200ft at the northern limits of the estate at Jaw, Cochno and Black Lochs (whose fishing rights belong to the University).

Within the estate of Cochno Farm and Research Centre lies Cochno House, a deep-plan, seven-bay pavilion roofed mansion of classical distinction reputedly designed by John Adam and built for the Hamiltons of Barns and Cochno in 1757. The pedimented two-storey and basement facade has a slight over-scale Roman Doric porch, and there is a central splayed projection with balustrade parapet to the souoth. It was extended with a lowe kitchen block in 1842.

In recent years the house has been used extensively for teaching, small conferences, workshops, seminars and accommodation for students and visiting researchers. The house and surrounding grounds have also served as a filming location for popular programmes such as Taggart and Rebus, as well as the film Regeneration, which was based on the novel by Pat Barker revolving around the soldier-poet Siegfried Sassoon. The grounds are also used periodically by Strathclyde Police (Dog Branch) and Strathclyde Fire and Rescue for training purposes.

The house was refurbished throughout from 1992 to 2003. In 2009 whilst carrying out essential repairs to the roof it was discovered that dry rot was evident throughout almost the entire house and it was not used for a short period thereafter. However, the dry rot has since been treated and the house is now in a rolling programme of major refurbishment over the next few years. In the summer of 2011 a complete level of the house has been extensively refurbished and now has the following resources:

  • Lecture theatre (capacity 30)
  • Boardroom
  • Two small group study rooms
  • Internet / Wifi access throughout
  • Four changing / cloak rooms (total capacity 70)
  • Toilet facilities
  • Kitchen facility

For more information see the Cochno Farm and Research Centre website.

Summary

Cochno Farm and Research Centre
Record last updated: 23rd Oct 2020

University Connections

Campus