Workshop and Stores


The Workshop and Stores are located on the Western Infirmary site and are located on University Place. The building was likely built shortly after John Burnet Sr 1874 Infirmary during the 1880s and was connected to the main hospital through the, now demolished, Nurses’ Home to the east. In 1939 the Workshop and Stores were referred to as the laundry.

The Workshop and Stores are generally built of sandstone. Towards the eastern end of this single-storey building is an Arts & Crafts style cupola ventilator with sloping sides. The centre of the roof has been lowered; it originally extended upwards to include a greenhouse-style ventilating ridge.


Workshop and Stores
Western Infirmary
Record last updated: 20th Aug 2015

University Connections

Associated people