The Square, 2

Description

2 The Square currently houses the University's Development and Alumni Office.

Before being converted into offices in 1959, 2 The Square housed several University Professors the first being Thomas Anderson, Professor of Chemistry, from 1852 until 1874. He resided at 2 The Square from 1870 until his death in 1874. Interestingly, the house had originally been assigned to Sir William Tennant Gairdner.

The following resident was John Nichol, Professor of English at the University from 1862 to 1889, who lived at No.2 from 1874 to 1876.

John Cleland was Regius Professor of Anatomy from 1877 to 1909 and lived at 2 The Square during this time.

2 The Square was then the home of Thomas Hastie Bryce, Regius Professor of Anatomy at the University and curator of the archaeological and anatomical specimens at the Hunterian Museum, from 1909 to 1935.

Duncan M. Blair, was appointed Regius Professor of Anatomy in 1935, at which time he and his family moved into 2 The Square. They lived at No.2 until Blair's death in 1944.

William Marshall Smart was the last resident of 2 The Square. He was Professor of Astronomy from 1937 until 1959. Smart lived at No.2 from 1944 until his retirement in 1959.

Summary

The Square, 2
2 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015