John Young LLD

Biography of John Young LLD

John Young (1823-1900) was Assistant Keeper of the Hunterian Museum from 1859.

He was born in Lennoxtown, in the parish of Campsie, in 1823 and was interested in the fossils of the area from a young age. By 1851 he was a recognised authority on the geology of the Campsie district, and during the 1855 meeting of the British Association in Glasgow he exhibited a collection of local rocks and fossils.

When the Glasgow Geological Society was started in 1858, he was elected as one of the first Honorary Associates, and later that year he presented his first paper; The Geology of the Campsie District.

In 1859, with the support of Lord Kelvin, he was appointed Assistant Keeper of the Hunterian Museum. He lived on site at the Hunterian Museum in the Old College in 1861, before moving to the university grounds in Partick when the university moved to its Gilmorehill campus.

In 1874 he was awarded a life membership to the London Geological Society, and in 1883 was given the highest honours the Geological Society of London could bestow: the proceeds of the Murchison Medal Fund.

He was awarded a Doctor of Laws from the University of Glasgow in 1893.

John Young LLD died of a stroke in 1900, at the age of 76.

Not to be confused with John Young (1835-1902), Regius Professor of Natural History from 1866 to 1902 and Keeper of the Hunterian Museum.

Summary

John Young LLD
Born 1823.
Died 1900.
University Link: GU Degree:
Record last updated: 12th Nov 2018

There are no comments available.