Log-in / Register

Not yet registered? Register Here.

James Brown Thomson

Biography of James Brown Thomson

James Brown Thomson funded the construction of the Anatomy building at the University of Glasgow.

James Brown Thomson, of Kinning Park (1818-1989), was a quayside worker who had been left a fortune in 1887 by his two brothers, Thomas and John, both Glasgow merchants. Thomson's trustees distributed nearly £80,000 to educational and medical institutions in Glasgow. The largest sum, £13,000, was granted to the University of Glasgow and made the extension of the Anatomy Department possible.

The Anatomy building, designed by John James Burnet, was later named the Thomson Building in honour of Allen Thomson, Regius Professor of Anatomy from 1848 to 1877, and convenor of the Old College removal committee.

Summary

James Brown Thomson
Benefactor

Born 1818.
Died 1898.
University Link: GU Degree:
Occupation categories: Quayside Worker
Record last updated: 6th Feb 2015

University Connections

Buildings

There are no comments available. Log in using the box in the top right of the page to post a comment. No user account? Register here.