Hunter Halls

Description

The Hunter Halls, named for William Hunter, occupy the Lower Halls of the Gilbert Scott Building.

This space was originally designed as the lower hall of the Old University Library. The Library was the first of the main spaces to be fitted when the University moved to Gilmorehill in 1870, however fitting of the Rare Book Room was still in progress in November 1871. The upper Library, now the Kelvin Gallery, was designed to hold 65,000 ornamental volumes, while the lower Library was built for 80,000 volumes and a further 40,000 items were to be accommodated in smaller rooms. In 1968 the library was moved to the new Whitfield building located on Hillhead Street.

After the removal of the Library in 1968 the lower hall was subdivided. MkW Design Partnership was responsible for the refurbishment of the Hunter Halls. The most recent work in the subdivided lower Library hall was the formation of a Postgraduate Study Centre (now occupied by part of the Adam Smith Business School) by Page/Park in 2006-2008.

Summary

Hunter Halls
Record last updated: 16th Sep 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Building