Carnegie Room

Description

The Carnegie Room is located in the Gilbert Scott Building to the East of the Senate Room. The room is named after famous industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) who was a major benefactor to the University's building programmes during the 20th century.

The Carnegie and Senate Rooms were once Lord Kelvin's Natural Philosophy apparatus room and classroom. The rooms were converted by Ivor Dorward of J.L. Greave & Partners during a major project funded by the Carnegie Trust in 1966-1969. John Cochrane & Co., the specialist joiners responsible for the woodwork in the Memorial Chapel, carried out the timber acoustic grids, panelling and fixed furniture. The rooms were refurbished again in 2010 by MkW Design Partnership with consultants New Acoustics.

Summary

Carnegie Room
Record last updated: 4th Jun 2015