Turnbull Room

Description

The Turnbull Room (previously known as the Court Room) is located in the Gilbert Scott Building, designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878). The room is named for William Turnbull (c1400-1454), Bishop of Glasgow from 1488 until his death and the University's first Chancellor.

The room is only 7.3m square but the groin-vaulted ceiling extends to 10m high in the centre. The room was first fitted out by John Thompson in 1872 who used oak from the Old College Forehall. John Oldrid Scott designed a suite of walnut table and chairs to complement the Gothic style of his father's creation. In 1902 John James Burnet remodelled the entrance into a set of double doors and in 1933 Sir William Lorimer made a bequest to the University which was used to remodel and redecorate the room. T. Harold Hughes prepared the plans for the 1933 project which involved a relatively minor replacement of George Gilbert Scott's fireplace (which was relocated to the College Club below the Memorial Chapel), the addition of new panelling over the fireplace, and some other repair and reconfiguration of the existing panelling.

In 1969 an ugly gridded lowered ceiling and lighting rig designed by Ivor Dorward of J.L. Gleave & Partners was introduced which was then removed when MkW Design Partnership refurbished the room in 1991.

Summary

Turnbull Room
Record last updated: 22nd May 2015