The Memorial Gates
Hover over a name on the gate to enlarge it. Click on a name to read a biography of the person.
The Memorial Gates were presented to the University by the General Council on 18 June 1952, to honour the twenty-nine outstanding figures of the University's first 500 years.
The gates were designed by architect A Graham Henderson (1882-1963) and bear the Latin inscription Almae Matri Alumni Pietatis Causa, indicating that the Gates are a symbol of Alumni devotion.
The names of Donald Dewar and John Smith were added to the gates during the events to mark the University's 550th year, in recognition of their status as outstanding University figures of the late 20th century.
Open a larger image of the Memorial Gate.
Names on the Gate