The Square, 1

Description

1 The Square currently houses the University's Communications Office.

Prior to its use as the Student Recruitment and Admissions Services office in 2003, 1 The Square was home to Edward Caird, Professor of Moral Philosophy from 1866 to 1893, who lived at No.1 from 1870 to 1893.

Following Professor Caird's departure Sir Henry Jones, Professor of Moral Philosophy from 1894 until 1922, set up residence in 1 Professors' Square. Jones set aside a ground-floor room for the use of junior staff between lectures. He and his family lived at 1 The Square until 1911, when, for family reasons, they moved to Tighnabruaich. Jones later returned to occupy a flat in the house while working on the Gifford Lectures, of which the final lecture took place 11 December 1921.

Between 1922 to 1924, 1 The Square was occupied by Professor of Moral Philosophy Alexander Dunlop Lindsay.

One of Sir Henry Jones' students, Hector Hetherington, was the next Professor of Moral Philosophy to take up residence in 1 The Square briefly between 1924 and 1927.

In 1927, Archibald Bowman, Professor of Logic and Rhetoric was appointed to the Chair of Moral Philosophy. He and his wife were due to take up residence in 1 The Square, but Mrs Bowman did not wish to leave 4 The Square, which they had been living in since 1925.

The last tenant of 1 The Square was Andrew Dewar Gibb, Regius Professor of Law from 1934 to 1958. According to his son's and daughter's reminiscences, Andrew Dewar Gibb deplored the gradual decline of the residential element in The Square. His family stayed at 1 The Square until 1957.

Summary

The Square, 1
1 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015