Hunterian Art Gallery and Mackintosh House

Description

William Hunter (1718-1783) bequeathed his collection of art to the University, and it was originally housed at the Hunterian Museum. The name of the Hunterian Museum was extended with the words 'Art Gallery' in 1976 in response to the growth of the University's collection of works of art, by artists such as James McNeill Whistler, which required the provision of a dedicated building. Andrew McLaren Young, Richmond Professor of Fine Art at the University from 1965 to 1975, had been the driving force behind what was known originally as the 'Museum Extension.' This extension was part of the second phase of the University Library of the late 1960s. The Art Gallery was designed by William Whitfield and was finally opened on Hillhead Street in June 1980 by Sir Hugh Casson.

The building includes the Mackintosh House, a recreation of the interior lay-out, decor and furnishings of the house at 78 Southpark Avenue where Charles Rennie Mackintosh lived from 1906 to 1914. The Mackintosh House opened in 1981.

Summary

Hunterian Art Gallery and Mackintosh House
82 Hillhead Street
Glasgow
G12 8QQ

Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus