Gardiner Institute of Medicine

Description

In November, 1936, a joint committee of representatives of the University Court and Managers of the Western Infirmary chaired by the Principal, Sir Hector Hetherington, met to consider the establishment of a Medical Department at the Western Infirmary. The Department was to be known as the Gardiner Institute of Medicine and was erected through the generosity of Sir Frederick C. Gardiner and the Trustees of his late brother Mr. William G. Gardiner towards which the sum of £20,000–£25,000 had been contributed.

The committee agreed that the vacant site fronting on Church Street between the Pathological and Ophthalmological Departments would provide the accommodation desired by Sir John McNee, Regius Professor of Practice of Medicine at the University of Glasgow from 1936 to 1953. It was also agreed that within the Institute a limited number of beds should be provided for patients requiring special observation or who were of special scientific interest, the Infirmary meeting the cost of nursing and maintenance. The completed Institute originally contained five beds for patients in three single rooms and a two-bedded room. It was also agreed by the committee that the fabric of the building would be the property of the Infirmary and the University would be responsible for equipment, laboratory expenses, technicians and any experimental work carried out in the Institute.

The building plans were prepared by Norman Aitken Dick of Burnet, Son & Dick and were subsequently approved. The University undertook to pay to the Western Infirmary a sum up to £22,000 for the erection of the building and an additional £900 for a library.

The Gardiner Institute of Medicine was opened by Sir Frederick Gardiner’s widow, Lady Gardiner, on 28 September 1938. The presentation of a golden key to open the doors of the new Institute was made to Lady Gardiner by Mr R. Dick on behalf of the architects, Burnet, Son & Dick, Glasgow. Sir Daniel Macaulay Stevenson, Chancellor of the University, presided at the inaugural ceremony, and recalled that Sir Frederick C. Gardiner and his brother Mr William G. Gardiner were great benefactors of the University, especially on the medical side. The Institute became an important addition to the Glasgow School of Medicine as a centre for teaching and research.

Summary

Gardiner Institute of Medicine
44 Church Street
Glasgow
G11 6NT
Record last updated: 21st May 2015