Anderson's Institution's medical college was founded in 1800 and was incorporated as a separate and distinct institution, Anderson's College Medical School, in 1887. In 1889 the college moved to a new home near to the Western Infirmary on Dumbarton Road, in an Italianate building designed by the architects James Sellars and (after his death) John Keppie. In 1913 the school was renamed Anderson College of Medicine and in 1947 it was absorbed by the University in the wake of the Goodenough Report's recommendations on medical education.
During the 1990s the College building was refurbished at a cost of over �8 million with funds from the Wellcome Foundation, Wolfson Foundation and European Regional Development Fund. Since 1995 it has been home, with the neighbouring Robertson and Pontecorvo Buildings, to the Molecular Genetics Division of the Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences. Since 2007 it has housed Glasgow International College.