Hunterian Museum

Description

In 1783 William Hunter bequeathed his large collections of anatomical and pathological preparations, coins, books and manuscripts and botanical, geological and other materials to the University, along with £8,000 towards the cost of a suitable museum in which to house them. The Hunterian Museum was designed by William Stark and opened at the University's High Street site in 1807.

When the University moved to Gilmorehill in 1870, the museum and its collections were relocated to new premises in the Gilbert Scott Building. Some collections were subsequently moved to new homes - the anatomical collections were transferred to the Thomson Building, for example, and the zoological collections to the Graham Kerr Building.

The Hunterian Museum changed its name to Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery in 1976. In 1980 the University's growing and prestigious art collection was provided with purpose-built accommodation in a new building adjacent to the University Library.

Summary

Hunterian Museum
University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8QQ
Record last updated: 13th Feb 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus