Macgregor Building (1933-1959)

Description

The Macgregor Building was built between 1933 and 1935 and named in memory of Mrs. Margaret Macgregor of Stirling. It was built as an extension to John James Burnet’s 1894-1896 Pathology, Bacteriology and Immunology Building and was designed by Norman Aitken Dick of Burnet, Son & Dick in collaboration Colonel Donald James Mackintosh. The extension was constructed in the same Scots Renaissance style employed by Burnet for the Pathology building.

The opening ceremony took place on 5 February, 1935, with Sir John A. Roxburgh, Chairman of the Board of Managers of the Western Infirmary, presiding. Sir Robert Muir, Colonel Donald James Mackintosh, Mr. R. D. M. Mitchell, Professor J. Shaw Dunn, and Professor C. H. Browning also attended the ceremony.

The extension, also referred to as the Margaret Macgregor Memorial Extension or the Memorial Block, was a single storey building stretching eastward into the courtyard from the main department. It was built to accommodate the need to keep research departments up to date and was constructed to carry an additional floor should need be. It consisted of the Professor’s private room and laboratory, library, reading-room, Secretary’s room, and two research laboratories. The extension was made possible by a gift from the Trustees of Mrs. Margaret Macgregor of Stirling. Mrs. Macgregor’s Trustees expressed their desire that their gift should in some way be associated in a permanent way with Mrs. Macgregor’s name and so when the Pathological department was to be extended it was decided that the block was to take the form of the “Macgregor Memorial.” A sum of £10,000 was paid to the Western Infirmary by Mr. R. D. M. Mitchell on behalf of the Trustees.

In 1952 there was a call to extend the Macgregor Block with a second storey. Unfortunately the building was showing signs of settlement and the plan had to be abandoned. The block was eventually demolished and was replaced in 1959 with the new Macgregor Building - a more spacious five-storey building capable of housing expanded departments of both pathology and bacteriology. In 1989 a boilerhouse stack by Norman A Dick, dated to 1934, was demolished.

Summary

Macgregor Building (1933-1959)
Western Infirmary
Glasgow
G11 6NT
Record last updated: 8th Jul 2015