North Park House

Description

North Park House was used by Queen Margaret College for the education of women students until 1935 when it was sold to the BBC.

The house was designed in 1869 by John Thomas Rochead and completed in 1871 by John Honeyman as a display case for the art collections of the merchants, John and Matthew Bell of the famous Bell Pottery. The building was purchased by Mrs Isabella Elder, who gifted it to the College in 1883.

From 1890 to 1908 the Queen Margaret Union, known simply as the "Union," used a basement room in North Park House to meet. The rooms provided various amenities for receptions, dramatic and musical entertainments, and tableaux vivants. As numbers grew the space became restricted and the canteen arrangements became inadequate so that in 1908 premises were rented in a flat at 31 Buckingham Terrace to provide a larger meeting place for the Women's Union.

In 1934 male and female students were taught at Gilmorehill and the Queen Margaret College site was sold to the BBC. The BBC relocated to Pacific Quay in 2007. North Park House is now the central hub for the G1 Group.

Summary

North Park House
Queen Margaret Drive
Glasgow

Record last updated: 27th Nov 2015

University Connections

Associated people

Campus