The east end of the the John McIntyre Building was completed in 1886. The architect, Sir JJ Burnet, designed extensions that were added in 1893 and 1908.
The building was originally intended to serve as the student union, and its construction was partly funded by a gift of £5,000 from Dr John McIntyre. In 1930 the Glasgow University Union moved to a building at the foot of University Avenue and the women of the Queen Margaret Union moved into the premises in 1932. In 1969 the QMU moved again, to a new building in University Gardens.
The McIntyre Building became the headquarters of the Student Representative Council and provides accommodation for the Rector's office and a bookshop.