The Square, 13

Description

13 The Square currently houses the Pro-Vice Principal’s Office as well as other University offices from the School of Culture and Creative Arts.

The townhouse was built in 1870–1871 by George Gilbert Scott and originally housed the University’s Principals. Unlike the other smaller unfurnished terraces that housed the University Professors (Numbers 1–12), the Principal’s Lodgings had £300 of furniture provided by the University.

In 1962 No.13 was reconfigured along with 12 The Square by W.N.W. Ramsay. It was decided by the University Court that the Principal’s Lodging (No.13) would be centred on the west part of the building (No.12) and not the east as before. When the changes to the townhouses took place the new Lodging occupied the whole ground floor of both No.12 and No.13. The existing entrance to No.13, opposite the Lion and Unicorn staircase, was retained for the use of the Principal’s neighbour, who was assured of very generous accommodation on the east side (No.13) from the first floor upwards.

In 1982 the house at No.13 was divided into two flats.

The first resident was Principal Thomas Barclay (1792-1873), who had led the campaign to raise funds required to relocate the University from its High Street site to Gilmorehill. He was succeeded in his appointment as Principal by his then neighbour, John Caird, Professor of Divinity, who decided to remain at No.12 The Square. In his stead, William Hastie, Professor of Divinity, came to live at No.13 from 1873 to 1898.

Robert Herbert Story, Principal from 1898 to 1907, lived at No.13 during this time. Story had previously lived at 8 The Square as Professor of Ecclesiastical History from 1886 until 1898. The next resident was Sir Donald MacAlister who was Principal of the University from 1907 to 1929. Followed by Sir Robert Sangster Rait who lived at the townhouse from 1929 to 1936. Finally Sir Hector Hetherington, Principal of the University from 1936 to 1961, lived at 13 The Square until 1966.

After the amalgamation of No.12 and No.13 the University’s Principals occupied No.12.

Sir John Currie Gunn, Cargill Professor of Natural Philosophy at the University from 1949 to 1982, came to live at No.13 from 1966 to 1982 with his family. When the Gunns moved out the house was divided into two flats. W. Arthur Harland, Regius Professor of Forensic Medicine from 1974 to 1985, lived in the lower flat from 1982 to 1985 - he had previously been living at 9 The Square from 1975 to 1982. Harland was followed by John Dickinson, Professor of Accountancy from 1985 to 1992, who lived in the flat from 1986 to 1988. While Alan Tait, Richmond Chair of Fine Arts from 1984 to 2012, lived in the upper flat from 1985 to 1999.

Summary

The Square, 13
13 The Square
University of Glasgow
Glasgow
G12 8QQ

Record last updated: 6th Nov 2015