Pearce Lodge

Description

When the Old College buildings were demolished in 1870, part of the High Street entrance was carefully dismantled and preserved. In 1887 the stonework was brought to Gilmorehill and incorporated in the gateway and gatehouse erected at the northeast gate of the new campus on University Avenue.

The building was named Pearce Lodge for Sir William Pearce of the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, who had donated funds for building. It was designed by the architect Alexander George Thomson, and until 1907 was occupied by the Department of Naval Architecture. It went on to house the Students' Representative Council (SRC) until 1969, and is currently occupied by the University's Safety and Environmental Protection Services.

The principal elements preserved from the Old College are the arched gateway (the old metal-studded wooden gate was not rescued) and the cornice to the right. There are two stone panels set in the gatehouse walls, one bearing the date 1658 and the other the inscription "CR2". By incorporating these elements from the demolished 17th-century university buildings of Old College, Pearce Lodge highlights the continuity between the old High Street site and the Gilmorehill site.

The Pearce Lodge plaque states: "This incorporates the old main gateway and other features from the High Street frontage of the Old College, built in the time of Charles II. It is named after Sir William Pearce, whose generosity made possible its reconstruction on the present site in 1887-88.”

The chimney-heads on Pearce Lodge were damaged during the Clydebank bombing raids of 13 March 1941. These were repaired at the end of 1946 by the firm of T. Harold Hughes and David Stark Reid Waugh.

Summary

Pearce Lodge
University Avenue
Glasgow
G12 8LU
Record last updated: 14th May 2015