Biography of George Bond
George Bond (1906-1988) was appointed a titular Professor of Botany in 1964 and was Hooker Professor from 1973 until his retirement in 1976.
Bond graduated from University College, Nottingham, and came to Glasgow as an assistant lecturer in the Botany Department and went on to become a a lecturer, senior lecturer, reader and professor. He left the University only once, to work as a technical officer in the Dehydration Division of the Ministry of Food in London during the Second World War.
In 1973, Bond was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society for his research in the nitrogen fixation of plants.