Biography of Andrew MacMillan
Andrew MacMillan (1928- ) was Professor of Architecture at the University and Head of the Mackintosh School of Architecture, 1973 to 1994.
MacMillan studied at Glasgow School of Art while working for Glasgow Corporation's Housing Department and the East Kilbride New Town Developpment Corporation during the 1950s. He joined the architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia in 1954 and became a partner in 1966. He continued to work as a consultant architect after leaving the firm in 1988.
Among many awards, MacMillan has won the RIBA Award for Architecture on four occasions and the Royal Scottish Academy Gold Medal in 1975. He has been a member of several public bodies, including the Scottish Arts Council, 1978 to 1982, and he was awarded the OBE in 1992.