Biography of John Young
John Young (1835-1902) was Regius Professor of Natural History from 1866 to 1902 and Keeper of the Hunterian Museum. He was Honyman Gillespie Lecturer in Geology from 1876.
Young graduated MD from the University of Edinburgh in 1857 and worked as a physician and then on the Geological Survey before his appointment to the Regius Chair in Glasgow. He taught classes in Zoology and in Geology and was responsible for organising the removal of the Hunterian collections from the Old College site to Gilmorehill in 1870.
In 1880, Young published a Catalogue of Pictures, Sculptures and Other Works of Art in the Univerity of Glasgow and he worked on a catalogue of the manuscripts held at the Hunterian which was completed by PH Aitken and published in 1908. He was no indiscriminate collector, and in 1877 informed the Universities Commission that the Hunterian's coin collection was "of absolute indifference to the University seeing that the coins are not made use of for teaching" and asked that the Commissioners authorise its sale.