Biography of James McCall
James McCall (1834-1915) was the founder and first Principal of the Glasgow Veterinary College.
A graduate of the Royal (Dick) College, McCall became a vet in Symington in Ayrshire before returning to the College in 1857 as Professor of Anatomy and Physiology. He came to Glasgow in 1859 to set up in practice, but provided classes for budding vets in a building in Sauchiehall Lane and subsequently in premises he purchased in Parliamentary Road and then in Garnethill. In 1863 he obtained a Royal Warrant for his college, to prepare students for the examinations of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. The first vets qualified from the Glasgow Veterinary College in 1865 and it was incorporated in 1909, when the Governors purchased the college buildings in Garnethill from their Principal.
McCall was a president of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and he held a number of public offices, including those of Veterinary Inspector and Advisor to the Board of Agriculture, and Veterinary Inspector and Advisor to the City of Glasgow. He was influential in Glasgow becoming the first city in Britain introduce market meat inspections and to licence the city's dairies.