Biography of Delphine Parrott
Delphine Parrott was a senior lecturer in the University's Department of Bacteriology, 1967 to 1973. In 1973 she was given a titular professorship, becoming the University's first female professor. In the late 1970s she and Professor Robert White set up the first BSc in Scotland devoted to Immunology.
Born in London, Parrott graduated in 1949 with an honours BSc degree in Physiology from Bedford College, University of London. She undertook her PhD at King's College Hospital Medical School and graduated in 1952.
From 1952 to 1954 Parrott worked at the MRC Clinical Endocrinology Research Unit in Edinburgh, before returning to London to join the staff of the National Institute for Medical Research in Mill Hill. In 1960, she moved to the Imperial Cancer Research Fund in Mill Hill. She worked on the problems of immune (rejection) reactions to transplants and of the movement of blood cells, especially lymphocytes, involved in inflammation reactions. She also studied the immunology of leukaemia and the effects of the removal of the thymus on immune reactions.
When Professor White retired in 1980, Parrott was made both Head of Department and Gardiner Professor of Immunology. She retired in 1990.