Biography of Sir Charles Wilson
Sir Charles Wilson
Sir Charles Haynes Wilson (1909-2002) was Principal and Vice Chancellor of the University, 1961 to 1976. The Sir Charles Wilson Building in University Avenue is named for him.
Born in Partick, Wilson studied at the University and graduated MA in 1932. He held the Faulds Fellowship for two years, before becoming a Lecturer at the London School of Economics. He went on to Corpus Christi College, Oxford as Fellow and Tutor in Modern History and Politics. In 1952, he was appointed Principal of University College, Leicester, and became its first Vice-Chancellor when it became a fully-fledged University in 1957.
In 1961 Wilson succeeded Sir Hector Hetherington as Principal. He continued the expansion programmes set in motion by his predecessor, overseeing the construction of the Rankine Engineering Building, the Queen Margaret Union, the Refectory, the Adam Smith Building, the Boyd Orr Building, and the Mathematics Building. The Library, Geology Building and Hunterian Art Gallery were still under construction at the time of his retirement. More than fifty new chairs were created during his Principalship.
Wilson was knighted in 1965.