Biography of James Ireland
James Ireland (1915-1997) was Professor of Dental Primary Care from 1971 to 1980. He was responsible for establishing the Dental Departmental Library in 1949, which was renamed the James Ireland Library when he retired in 1980.
Born in Bonnybridge, Ireland studied Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Edinburgh. He served in the RAF during the Second World War, became a lecturer at Birmingham University Dental Hospital and in 1949 came to the University as Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in charge of the Department of Conservative Dentistry.
Ireland was appointed titular Professor of Operative Dental Surgery in 1964 and he and Thomas C White played important roles in the plans for the new Dental Hospital which opened in Sauchiehall Street in 1970. He became the first Professor of Conservative Dentistry in 1971, and he served as Dean of Dental Education in Glasgow University Dental Hospital and School from 1976 until his retirement.
A keen golfer, Ireland was captain of Hilton Park Golf Club.
Born 2 October 1915, Bonnybridge, Scotland.
Died 18 August 1997.
University Link: Faculty Dean, Lecturer, Professor
Occupation categories: dentists
Record last updated: 14th Aug 2008