Biography of Frederick Orpen Bower
Fredrick Orpen Bower
The Bower Building is named for Frederick Orpen Bower (1855-1948), Regius Professor of Botany at the University, 1885-1925.
Born in Ripon, Bower was educated at Trinity College Cambridge and graduated with first class honours in the Natural Sciences tripos. He became a lecturer at Christ's College, studied in Germany and lectured at University College, London.
In 1885 Bower accepted the Regius chair at the University. Under his energetic leadership, his department became a world leader in the study of morphological botany.
Bower's department had only two rooms and an attic herbarium when he arrived in Glasgow, and he had to share a lecture theatre. In 1900, however, the new Botany Building was completed off University Avenue, providing the University with Britain's first botanical institute and some of the most advanced research facilities in the country. It was renamed in Bower's honour in the 1990s.