Biography of Sir John Graham Kerr
Sir John Graham Kerr
The John Graham Kerr Chair of Zoology was founded in 1965 and named for Sir John Graham Kerr (1869-1957), the Regius Professor of Zoology at the University from 1902 until 1935 and a member of Court from 1913 to 1921. The Zoology Building was renamed the Graham Kerr Building in his honour.
Kerr studied Medicine at the University of Edinburgh and Natural Sciences at Christ's College, Cambridge. He joined two expeditions to South America and specimens collected on the second expedition are preserved at the University. He was involved in many scientific organisations, including the Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow (of which he was a President). In 1935 he was elected a Member of Parliament for the Scottish Universities and held the seat until it was abolished in 1950. He was knighted in 1939.