Biography of Andrew Buchanan
Andrew Buchanan (1798-1882) was a surgeon at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and was the first Regius Professor of the Institutes of Medicine (later renamed Physiology) at the University from 1839 until 1876. The Buchanan Chair of Physiology was named for him in 1965.
Born in Glasgow, the son of a merchant, Buchanan studied at the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh and in Paris. He served as a surgeon at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary and taught Materia Medica at the Andersonian Institute. In 1828 he established and was joint editor of the Glasgow Medical Journal, and he became a controversial figure in the politics of medical health in the city.
Buchanan retired from his Chair in 1876. He was a President of the Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1879-1880. He was a well-respected surgeon and is regarded by biochemists as one of the founders of their science.