Biography of William Hunter
William Hunter (1718-1783) bequeathed his substantial collections of anatomical and pathological preparations, coins, books and manuscripts and botanical, geological and other materials to the University, along with £8,000 towards the cost of building a museum in which to house the collection. The University named the museum the Hunterian in his honour.
Born in East Kilbride, Hunter studied at the University from 1731 to 1736. He became a medical apprentice to William Cullen, who had a private practice in Hamilton, and attended medical classes at the University of Edinburgh. In 1741 he moved to London and became a leading anatomist and medical teacher, and one of Britain's first "man midwives". He was Professor of Anatomy at the Royal Academy of Arts in London from 1769 until 1772.